Circle of Friends for the Dying
The Mission of Circle of Friends for the Dying (CFD) is to bring compassionate, competent end of life care to the dying and their families by providing a Home and a circle of support. CFD, a not-for-profit organization, will oversee the establishment and maintenance of a home like residence with an emphasis on comfort and quality of life for the terminally ill with a prognosis of three months or less to live. The Home becomes the primary residence for individuals who can no longer safely remain in their own home or who prefer an alternative to spending one’s last days in a nursing home or hospital setting.
Our vision is a community that openly accepts dying and death as a part of life.
The following principles guide CFD and the work we do:
– Integrity: Do the right thing for the right reason, tell the truth, and provide a positive example of ethical and principle-based behavior.
– Respect: Honor diverse backgrounds, and exhibit a high level of regard, courtesy and commitment to individuals’ dignity and rights. Care for each resident with compassion, concern, empathy and consideration.
– Excellence: Serve as a role model for quality, community-based end-of-life care.
– Support: Recognize death and grief as a normal part of life. Provide a welcoming, clean, safe home for residents and their families and attend to physical, emotional and spiritual well-being of the residents and guests.
– Education: Provide information and experience-based knowledge about end-of-life care. Explore emotional, psychological, physical, spiritual and existential questions.
There are approximately 25 Homes for the Dying in northern New York State. Click here for a full list. Having purchased a house in Kingston, NY, CFD is now raising the funds for the necessary renovation and operating expenses in order to open the first Home in the Mid-Hudson Valley.